First shown and demonstrated at The Hi-fi and Home Entertainment Show, Heathrow 23rd-25th September 2005, Naim's current reference CD player, the Naim CD555 with 555PS delivers the ultimate musical performance from a CD.
The Naim CD555 makes no attempt to play DVDs, DVD-As or SACDs. It doesn't have a digital output. Nor does it have a variable output. The Naim CD555 simply plays CDs and at that it excels. We are confident that is the best CD player ever.
Key features of the fabulous Naim CD555 CD player include a separate power supply from a transformer secondary winding, which is triple regulated, right through to the critical master clock and dejittering circuitry. Special attention has also been paid to reducing capacitive coupling of high frequency noises from other supplies into this super quiet clock supply through interconnect cables and wiring looms. Two Burndy interconnects between the power supply and head unit discretely carry the digital and analogue supplies extend the principle of reducing capacitive coupling between power supplies as far as possible.
The power supply incorporates significant upgrades over existing designs. More regulators have been used to isolate the supplies to various parts of the circuit, minimising their interaction.
The Naim CD555 Digital-to-Analogue Converters are mounted in a "quiet room". Apart from ensuring that all critical signals reaching the DAC have immeasurably low jitter the chips are inside a shielded enclosure to keep their environment free of the varying electric and magnetic fields that inevitably occur in a CD player, so enabling the converters to do their work isolated from all external influences.
- Machined, heavy, solid transport tray to reduce resonance and vibration amplitude
- High mass design to improve suspension characteristics, providing isolation from the chassis and other components.
- Low infra red reflective coatings around the CD to reduce eye pattern interference and noise.
- Extremely low inertia and low resonance CD clamp.
- Philips Pro CD mechanism with a die-cast chassis.
- Very heavy brass sub-chassis - separate for digital and analogue electronics.
- Analogue stages, I-to-V conversion, filtering and output driver are built from discrete components.
- Seven-pole output filters.
- Separate low jitter clock circuit with its own multi-stage regulated power supply.
- Post-digital filter de-jitter circuitry to eliminate jitter.
- DACs are isolated from electric and magnetic fields.
- Motorised top loading door.
Line Outputs Fixed (level)
2.1V RMS at 1kHz
10Hz – 20kHz, +0.1/-0.5dB
THD + N
<0.1%, 10Hz -18kHz at full level
±0.1dB referred to main response
Infra Red (RC5)
RCA on rear (RC5)
RJ45 (fitted but optionally connected)
Seven button matrix
Power Supply Options
555PS, 2 x 555PS
NAC 252, 552 PS, NAP 500, 500 PS
114 x 432 x 314 mm
Hi-Line, R-Com, Burndy x 2, Remote Control NARCOM 4, Clamp 6