A pair of RCA inputs accept any line-level input signal, and a stereo 6.3-mm to RCA cable is included to connect to the jack outputs of your mixer or audio interface. Also available is a 3.5-mm stereo mini jack for playing from smartphones or MP3 players.
An efficient stereo power amplifier with 14 Watts per side drives the two monitors. The compact, ported cabinets fit almost anywhere and are ideal for home studios, dorm rooms, or video editing suites.
The VL-S3BT has a high-quality Bluetooth receiver built in for wireless playback from smartphones, tablets, and other devices.
Compact cabinets fit almost anywhere
Even with professional two-way drivers and rich power amplifier, the footprint is as compact as 110 mm x 170 mm – perfect on a desktop or next to your laptop PC. There’s no need to make space for speaker stands. The compact monitors can fit below many monitors or in crowded machine or server rooms.
Wide frequency response of 80 Hz to 22 kHz
Even though they’re priced like standard PC desktop speakers, the VL-S3 provide professional monitoring quality. With a frequency response of 80 Hz to 22 kHz, every sound is faithfully reproduced - from the body resonance of a bass drum to a tinkling wind chime. The wide response is reproduced by the two-way system design consisting of a woofer, tweeter, and the bass reflex port located on the rear of the cabinet.
Built-in power amplifier with 14 watts per channel
Designed specifically for desktop systems, the integrated 14 W + 14 W power amplifier provides you not only powerful, full-volume monitoring, but also features well-balanced sound at low volume.
RCA and stereo mini-jack line inputs
The dual RCA inputs provide a common, compact interface for connecting with unbalanced sources. A stereo 6.3-mm phone plug to RCA conversion cable is included for sources like an audio interface or Portastudio with a phone output jack can be interfaced.
The VL-S3 also includes a 3.5-mm stereo mini input jack, which automatically shuts off the RCA inputs. Using a standard stereo mini cable, a portable MP3 player, iPad or smartphone can be connected.
aptX®/AAC codecs for low latency and high definition
A Bluetooth receiver is built into the cabinet, making wireless playback possible from a smartphone, PC, or any Bluetooth-enabled device where the reference sound is saved. Bluetooth playback supports aptX and AAC codecs – higher definition and lower latency than the typical SBC codec. So, without any cables, the sound can be compared to the sound in production – resulting in high-definition playback which does not feel wireless. Switching input and pairing can be done using the buttons on the front of the body.
Music playback over Bluetooth
Transmission protocols, called profiles, are standardized for the purpose of wireless transmission via Bluetooth. VL-S3BT uses the profile A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), and can wirelessly play back from devices compatible with A2DP. Furthermore, the sound is compressed for wireless transmission. This compression method is called codec. Confirm which codec your device is compatible with on the webpage describing your device.
Codecs supported by VL-S3BT
- SBC (Sub Band Codec): This is the standard codec which all A2DP-compatible equipment support. It has a higher definition than a headset mic, for example, but is inferior to the codecs described below. Also, latency occurs at the time of compression, so a time lag may be felt when listening to a video or the like.
- AAC (Advanced Audio Codec): This is the codec used mainly in iPhones and other iOS devices. The time lag is negligible. The compression rate is on par with SBC, but has superior definition.
- aptX: The compression rate is low, allowing for playback in high definition – closer to the original sound. The time lag is also negligible.
- Power amplifier output: 14 W + 14 W (left speaker cabinet contains the power amplifier)
- 3-inch woofer, 0.5-inch tweeter
- Bass reflex port on rear side
- Crossover circuit specially tuned at 8 kHz– well outside the vocal range
- RCA terminals (stereo) and 3.5-mm stereo mini unbalanced input (the stereo 3.5-mm mini jack is preferred)
- Volume control
- Power switch/Power LED
- Dedicated AC adapter included (Tascam PS-P1524E)
- Stereo 6.3-mm to RCA adapter cable included
Unique features for VL-S3BT
- Bluetooth wireless playback function by A2DP profile
- Supported A2DP codecs: SBC/AAC/aptX
- Bluetooth pairing button on front panel
|Maximum effective output||14 W + 14 W (distortion: 10%)|
|Speaker units||3-inch (76.2mm) woofer
0.5-inch (12.7mm) tweeter
|Frequency response||80 Hz – 22 kHz|
|Crossover frequency||8 kHz|
|Sensitivity||−4.8 dBV (580 mV) for 14 W+14 W|
|External input||RCA pin jacks, stereo mini jack|
|Input impedance||50 kΩ|
|Bluetooth (VL-S3BT only)|
|Bluetooth version||Version 4.0|
|Output class||Class 2 (Unobstructed communication distance: about 10 m*)|
|Supported A2DP codecs||SBC, AAC and aptX|
|Supported A2DP content protection||SCMS-T|
|*This communication distance is an estimate. The communication distance might differ depending on the surrounding environment and wave conditions.|
|Power supply and other specifications|
|AC adapter (PS-P1524E)||Input voltage: AC 100–125 V (50–60 Hz)
Output voltage: DC 15 V
Output current: 2.4 A
|Power consumption||6.5 W|
|Dimensions (width × height × depth, excluding protrusions)||110 mm × 170 mm × 138 mm|
|Weight||Active unit: 1.1 kg
Passive unit: 1.0 kg
|Supplied accessories||AC adapter (Tascam PS-P1524E), speaker cable, RCA—6.3-mm TS jack adapter cable, Owner's Manual|